Sunday, February 23, 2014

A Shiny Gold 4:00am

Alcohol, chicken fingers, and a side of yawns at 4:30am. That's what my Sunday morning consisted of today in celebration of watching Canada take the gold in men's hockey from Ikea ( I prefer to call them Ikea rather than Sweden, ha ha!) in the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics !
Now anyone who knows me knows I'm not hugely into sports, but I don't mind hockey, basketball, and I do enjoy UFC (that counts at least, right?). But I figured with a game as big as this one, and being a born and raised proud Canadian, plus the peer pressure from my brothers and Dad to get in on the drinking and sports action, I figured I should probably get into the spirit and watch my country kick some serious ass! And that's exactly what I did. It's bad crazy enough that we were all socializing, drinking and telling silly stories last night til past midnight, but then we decided to hit the hay for a couple hours, wake up, drag ourselves out of bed and continue. I don't even really drink beer but I ended up pounding a few back, ya know, keepin up with the boys. This morning when 5:00 am came around it seemed like the only easy one to do. That and the only breakfast item choices were chicken fingers, spring rolls, wings, and dry ribs. So we all ordered up our greasy gross pub choices and let the game begin!
As I looked around between periods you could see all the tired yet alive faces, the genuine hopeful faces, both the young and old, and even the faces of the ones who were so tired and burnt out from partying Saturday night that continued their night right into this morning without even stopping to sleep! All for the game! Now that's patriotism! Everyone was brought together by this one event, and to imagine every single television in every little pub, shopping mall, apartment, and house tuned into this game is really beautiful! I mean, in any other situation at a pub how often would you have tables of compete strangers getting up to "Cheers!" and high-five each other? Not very often.
I'd have to say after the 2nd goal everyone was starting to wake up, and after that 3rd goal came through and Ikea was still at a big ol' zero, the confidence and loud cheering became prominent.
There was the guy running around the pub waving a giant Canada flag, the guy with the big red police light on his helmet drawing attention from everywhere, and nearly everyone was clad in their red knit Canada Pom-Pom toques ( yeah I said toques, yes that's what us Canadians call them).
I think that every now and then it's good to be reminded of your nationality, your heritage, where you grew up, and just make that connection to it. Only for this event would you ever find me getting out of my warm bed at 4am to head to the bar to drink for a hockey game! What a wildly fun morning and boy am I tired! But more than anything, and above all, I am so very proud! Proud to be Canadian, and proud of our boys on bringing home the gold!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment