Monday, February 17, 2014

A Day With The Princesses

Yesterday I did some volunteer work for the Sixty Five Roses Princess Ball here in Calgary. Its for kids with cystic fibrosis. They actually call it 'sixty five roses' because when little kids try to say 'cystic fibrosis', they have a difficult time and it often ends up sounding like 'sixty five roses'. Kinda cute huh?
Anyways for those of you who don't know, cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease of the secretory glands. Secretory glands include glands that make mucus and sweat. Cystic fibrosis mainly affects the lungs, pancreas, liver, intestines, sinuses, and sex organs. It's a horrible disease, and even more so horrible that children all over suffer from this condition. So they out together this annual princess ball for them, which really, is quite magical and sweet. 
I volunteered to do makeup for the princesses, and to paint their nails. It was honestly one of the most beautiful events I had ever been to and it warmed my heart incredibly to see all these adorable little princesses in their dresses, and mini princes having such a blast together and all smiles. There was every Disney princess there, and then some ( apparently I realized I am way out of the loop on the new age Disney princesses. I just found out who Elsa and Anna were). But as I was doing makeup for all these pretty faces and admiring their costumes, it got me thinking about the life of these Disney princesses and what they all had in common - waiting for their prince. As a little girl I always wanted the fairy tale, as most little girls did I would imagine. We were taught by Disney that we are all princesses who deserve princes and to live happily ever after. Doesn't actually sound so bad right? It brought back sweet nostalgic memories of me putting on my Moms high heels and her red lipstick when she wasn't home, thinking I was something of a princess too.
Now I know that in the original Grimms Fairy Tales these movies/stories are a lot different than how Disney actually created it, but all the Disney princesses 'romances' weren't exactly, how I do say this, the most ideal of romances.
So take Snow White for example...she lived in a house with 7 men. She cooked and cleaned for them all day, all while waiting around for her prince to magically show up. I don't know how most men would feel but I'm going to say that dating a girl who lives with 7 men probably isn't a good sign.....unless all you want is a domesticated doormat, then she's just the gal!
Then we have Belle from Beauty and The Beast. That guy had serious anger issues and was abusive! What kind of relationship was that? She also tried to change him, and although it eventually worked, I don't believe that's any kind of a good message telling girls that if we meet a guy we only 'sort of' like, we can change him. Not true. Love them for the person they are. Don't hate them or try to change them because of the odd quirks or flaws they may have.
Or how about Aurora from Sleeping Beauty? Okay, the girl is asleep or passed out (however you want to look at it) and she has to wait for a prince to kiss her? So eventually a prince comes along and kisses this woman in her sleep? Creepy! And to wake up to some strangers lips on yours? Ha ha ha.....Disney version of rape perhaps? Kissing girls who are unconscious?
Ariel drastically changed her body, gave up her voice, and bailed out on her friends and family all for a man she had just met? My oh my Ariel. Although you're beautiful and sweet, and you managed to get Eric to fall in love with just your body language, it's a little much, no?
Now I'm not a feminist or anything but some of these princess tales, when you dig deeper, really aren't all that 'magical'. It got me wondering just how literal these little girls take these Disney princess movies. Do they all believe that one day their prince will show up? And that when that day comes, it's 'the end' and they live happily ever after? When I think back to when I was a little girl, I lived and realized very quickly that things were never going to be like how they were in the movies or on tv, whether it be with love and relationships, or even just perfect happy families. So I personally cant speak much for the princess part, however I do believe that naturally from growing up with Disney, a part of me was led to believe that yes, one day my Prince Charming will come, and we'll live happily ever after. Ahh, 'happily ever after'....what does that mean anyways? When the fairy tales came up with that line or conclusion, what exactly did they have in mind? I'd like to think they meant that it means whatever happiness means to that person in their own unique situation but something tells me that's not the case. I think that everyone's version of a 'happily ever after' is completely different and no two people should ever be painted with the same brush when it comes to that.
I also hope for all the little girls out there, the little princesses, that someone in their life is explaining the difference between a fairy tale, real life, and what makes a 'happily ever after' a 'happily ever after'. We may not be little princesses anymore, but we still can wear our invisible crowns.


No comments:

Post a Comment