Sunday, November 3, 2013

Hibernation In Full Effect

So Calgary got it's first real dump of snow a few days ago and I am not liking it. yes I was born and raised here so yes I should be used to it by now, but I'm not, and I don't think I ever will be. I mean normally our winters/first snowfalls come in a bit more like a lamb gently easing you into the cold season. But damn, not this year! It was like BAM!!! Honey I'm hoooommmme!!!! So naturally I'm in even more of a hibernation mode than normal this time of year. I've been sick for three weeks with this ridiculous super cough, and thus haven't been able to work out properly because with any increase in my heart rate and breathing, my lungs feel like they're going to explode, and my breathing becomes more difficult. Needless to say I'm a bit of a grumpy bear right now and I'm just trying to trudge through.
SO..............what's one good way to lift my spirits and pass the time during days or times like these? Bake! That's right, good ol' baking! One of my two favorite therapies right next to retail. So since it's so cold and miserable outside right now, I decided to close all my blinds so I didn't have to see it, crank up the tunes, throw on my latest, favorite new Wonder Woman apron (thank you Lem!) and get to work.
Todays inspiration came from flipping through a grocery store flyer where I saw tubs of neopolitan ice cream on sale (for those of you who may not know what that is or didn't grow up with it, its a three layer flavor combination of chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla) I decided to try incorporate that into a cupcake. 
It turned out quite tasty, and was actually kind of fun to experiment with and make. I think you'll like it :)
Here's what I came up with!


For the vanilla cupcakes:
Measure the following, and mix all together using a whisk : 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour, 2 cups granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.







Next, whisk 1 cup of milk, 1/2 cup water, 3/4 cup oil, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, and 2 large eggs in a separate bowl from your dry ingredients. Make a well in your flour mixture/dry ingredients, and gradually pour your wet mixture into it. Whisk until blended.






Divide the batter up into cupcake paper lined muffin/cupcake tins (makes 24), and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.





So what I did afterwards, after everything was cooled off, I took a serrated knife and gently cut off the tops of the cupcakes, as I was preparing a strawberry flavored mixture/icing to spread on it and then sandwich the top back on.





So I whipped up some basic vanilla buttercream frosting, and I separated a small portion of it to make the strawberry part, in which I added in some red food coloring and some strawberry jelly. Once I mixed that together, I sandwiched it between and put the tops back on.





Then I used some white frosting, spooned it into a piping bag and drew a circle along the edge of the cupcake tops.





I added some cocoa to my remaining 1/2 of my vanilla buttercream to turn it into chocolate buttercream, and piped it onto the tops.



Lastly, I whipped up a small amount of icing, colored it with pink food coloring and drizzled it over top to tie the whole neopolitan-chocolate, strawberry, vanilla thing together.






Then I couldn't resist and inside shot of it sliced in half to show the texture and strawberry goodness!






So there ya have it! My Neopolitan Cupcake! And it sure is yummy! The only thing I might change for next time is to maybe try using a strawberry concentrate or juice as opposed to the strawberry jelly/jam I sued for flavoring today. Only reason is that the consistency was a bit off (for my liking) , but nonetheless it doesn't really matter as the strawberry part is sandwiched inside so no one really sees it, but rather tastes the strawberry goodness instead! If you end up trying it out yourself, ENJOY!!!!! If not, well that's okay too! Thanks for checking out my blog post today. In this weather where I can't wash or wax my car, I can't go galavanting outside in a dress and heels, and I cant go for a good energetic run with my ipod on blast, I'm glad I can find comfort and happiness in being a 'Betty Crocker', and all the ideas and creativity that come along with it (Mom, you had no idea what you were turning me into when you bought me my first Easy-Bake Oven , did you? Ha ha ha!!)




 

 







No comments:

Post a Comment