Sunday, November 17, 2013

10 Things

Looking outside my window, from my warm and cozy home, it's a splendorous sight to see. The bare branches that were once lined with lush green leaves, are now crystalized in sparkly white hoar frost, the ground surface is completely blanketed in heavy white snow, the sky is blue with the sun peeking through, and there is a definite icy cold crispness in the air. It truly looks like a beautiful Christmas snow globe outside, or just like the cover of a Christmas card depicting the perfect winter image. Sounds pretty, doesn't it?
Now, let's put me out on the other side of that window for a minute here.
This morning I woke up, ate breakfast, threw on some boots, my toasty warm hooded winter jacket, a toque, wool mitts, and put my ear buds in blasting my ipod on full! I headed outside, shovel in hand, ready to take on the huge 3 foot dump of heavy snow we got last night! Man I hate winter! Yes I was definitely busting my ass and working up a sweat but it was still so cold. The ends of my hair were even freezing into icicles! Now that's when you know it is damn cold! OR better yet when your nose hairs inside are freezing together. You can feel it when you wiggle your nose! It's the weirdest feeling ever. Nonetheless it was cold, and there was a ton of snow. I was much happier indoors in my sweatpants looking out, holding my mug of piping hot green tea.The only thing good about this is the exercise you get, so basically that's the only thing that gets me outside to shovel the snow, is knowing I'm in for an excellent workout.
How can something so beautiful be so horrible at the same time? The bitter cold, the icy roads, the dry wind that stings your nose and cheeks. I don't know how I do it year after year to be honest. However, I am a born and raised Calgarian, and I haven't died yet from a winter yet.....(although some days it really feels like I'm going to. Hahaha!) . I guess I've gotta be doing something right to cope through this crap, year after year.
So I came up with a list of things that help me get through my winters. A list of things that either make it a little bit more easier or bearable or make me feel a bit summery. I'm sure we all have our own things we turn to, and here is mine!



10 Things That Help Me Survive Winter In Calgary:



1) Vitamin D supplement - aka 'the sunshine' vitamin. Not only is it used for preventing chronic disease, and boosting your immunity, but it also combats depression, just like the vitamin D from good ol' sunshine does! Need I say more?

2) Heated car seats - I've had cars without, and Ive had (and have) car(s) with, and I will never, ever, ever go back to a car without heated seats. Sure in the summer it can suck having black leather seats but when winter comes, it makes it allllllll worth it!

3) Remote car starters - While we're still on the topic of cars here, yes, this is a must for me. I've had cars without, and my current car I had it installed in and it is the best thing ever! Totally worth whatever money it may cost you. Trust me!

4) Bob Marley - What better way to combat the icy cold than with blastin' up some sweet island sounds of Mr. Marley? Even when it's cold out, I find that sometimes just by playing his music, I instantly warm up and my mood changes. Instant mood elevator! What a legend! R.I.P Bob <3

5) Spiced rum / Dark rum beverages - Yeah that's right, hard liquor helps me get through the cold! Don't judge. Ha ha ha! No, no, I'm no alcoholic, but honestly when it's cold like this, nothing warms you up quite like a little rum drink (even with some egg nog in it) or some red wine. This is definitely not a season for cold beer or margaritas!

6) Bronzer - For all my beautiful lady readers, this is for us. Let's face it, our skin looks more dry, dehydrated, and dull in the winter. We lose whatever tans we got during the summer, and as for me, yes I'm half Guyanese so I stay tan all year BUT I do get a lot lighter during the winter months too unfortunately (that's my half white side coming out). But nothing like a little light dusting of bronzing powder over the cheeks, hairline, bridge of the nose and chin to give you that sun-kissed glow, even in the winter!

7) Sweaters and cozy blankets - Cuz baby it's cold outside, and I like to stay as warm as possible. Wouldn't you? 'Nuff said!

8) Starbucks holiday drinks - Mmmm!!! I wait for these bad boys every year. First they bring in the delicious Fall drinks ; the pumpkin spice lattes, and then the Christmas ones ; Peppermint Mochas, Gingerbread Lattes, Eggnog Lattes, Creme Brulee Lattes. If the delicious hot flavor of these drinks aren't enough, the cute red and white cup in comes in decked out in little Christmas images should be. Or get a tasty Christmas-style baking treat to go with it! Mmm! I don't know about you but these lattes always put a positive spin on winter for me.

9) Hydration!!Drinking lots of water, and slathering on the coconut body butter - We all know we're supposed to have the 8 - 8oz glasses of water per day, but during winter with all the dryness here, I slam the water like there's no tomorrow. Hydration from the inside for better skin, energy, and less headaches, aaand my all time fave go-to ; The Body Shop's coconut body butter! That stuff is simply amazing, and smells like a beach!

10) Projects - I find that if you can commit yourself to a project or two, or even just many little projects throughout the season, it gives you something to do and to focus on and work towards while staying indoors rather than the usual and preferred couch laying with a blanket and movies (although don't get me wrong, I love doing that too!!) When I give myself projects to do indoors I feel more productive and the time tends to go a bit quicker after Christmas, which is great!


So there you have it, that's my (shortened) list! A few of the little pleasures, and a few of the necessities for me. As a matter of fact, this year I'm going to start taking up cross country skiing as another great way to make the most of winter, and also to get in some fantastic exercise. I started skating again a couple years ago, and I am most definitely going to get back to doing that as well this year. At this rate, before I know it I will be slappin' on the summer rims, waxing up my car, and sportin' a fresh new dress and heels in no time!

No comments:

Post a Comment