Sunday, September 1, 2013

Ode To Summer

Well here we are, September 1st, the end of summer, in my eyes at least. Being a born and raised Calgarian I value my summers just like everyone else here does, because the total amount of actual hot summer days that we have in a year? Well let's just say I don't ever need more than two hands to count them. Sad really. But if I may put a positive spin on things, I would say that I definitely don't take the beautiful hot days that we do have for granted. Like today for example, it is hella hot out and I am currently sitting on my deck soaking up the last of our summer rays. Sure I should probably be doing other things that need to get done on my 'to-do' list, but nahhhh........today I'm going to enjoy this! So I guess you could say this is my farewell ode to summer. Oh how you will be missed dear season, especially when I'm out in minus forty weather scraping the ice off my windshield.
Looking back and reflecting on these last few months, I would have to say that I had a pretty great summer. It started out with an amazing preceding spring where I got to experience my roots for the first time in Guyana with my Dad and brothers, so that was pretty darn amazing! Then everything just went so nice from there. No I didn't get to go camping (which I have been saying for years now that I want to start going again), but everything else in between was my definition of a perfect summer. I had spent some great times with my lovely girlfriends doing different things, trying new restaurants, The Running Of The Bulls in Strathmore, AB, festivals, incredibly fun concerts (Ziggy Marley being one of them) and also coming together to do some amazing volunteer work for the aid of the Calgary flood disaster that happened this summer.
I also of course kick it with the fam a lot whether its for a barbecue, drinking, garage time, and/or birthdays and holidays. The highlight of my summer? Well that one is easy.....my cousins from Toronto came out to Calgary for the first time ever, to spend a week with us, and it was a friggin BLAST! Revert to my "Is That A Sausage In Your Pants?" blog post for a hilarious story from the second night they were here! It truly was an epic time, and I cannot wait until I get to see them again!  Chris if you're reading this, next year right?? For Caribana!!
Ohhhhh summer, you really will be missed more than you know. I'm going to miss basking in those beautiful sun rays of yours, going for my runs outside in the mornings just before it gets too hot,  and hearing the sounds of everyone's sprinklers and lawn mowers. I'm going to miss spending my Sundays outside washing and waxing my car while having my tunes bumpin'. I'm going to miss all the gorgeous summer dresses and colors that come along with the season, the flowers, the smell of the grass and trees, and the delicious smells of barbecue floating throughout the neighborhood. I'm really going to miss the simple and lazy, hot summer days where I would do nothing but lounge outside with a cool drink, maybe a book, and just relax and take it all in. But I think the thing that I'm really going to miss the most is how everyone just seems so much happier during this time of year. Everyone is a lot more laid back, and less stressed out. Everyone seems to almost have this 'island mentality' - carefree, relaxed, positive, and all smiles, compared to all the other seasons where it's colder, there's busy and expensive holidays like Christmas, tax deadlines, snowy rush hour traffic, and basically people getting irritated easily everywhere they go. Ya know, those tropical countries are really where it's at it seems, because  how is it that in those countries where they have very little compared to North America, they are sooooo much happier and have a better quality of life when it comes to general happiness and satisfaction, and overall values and appreciation for the things they do have? Could it really be all that vitamin D? I'm sure there are other reasons of course as to why, but I strongly believe that there is definitely a direct correlation between the amount of sunshine a person gets and their level of happiness. I personally know I feel better when I have my dose of the sunshine vitamin, but for me, it's also the heat. Not everyone likes extreme heat of course, but the heat from the sun does help us relax and it helps to boost our immunity, so it's a win-win!
Nonetheless my sunshine days here are limited now as we welcome the fall season. It ain't so bad I guess - cozy knits, pretty scarves, high heeled boots and leather jackets, and the surroundings of gorgeous ambers, yellows, browns, and reds in the trees? Yes. I think I can do this. I also just remembered that fall time is when Starbucks gets in all their pumpkin flavored treats and lattes! Yes, I'm pretty sure I can do this now! Oh, and maybe in October I will just have to fly down to New York City to do some fabulous fall shopping in the sexy and inspiring concrete jungle that is Manhattan........with my pumpkin spice Starbucks latte in hand of course ;) Okay yes, I can definitely do this now! So long sweet summer......until we meet again xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment