Sunday, September 8, 2013

You're Only As Old As You Feel

You're only as old as you feel. This is a statement I hear all the time, usually by people who are generally considered to be of the 'older' population. Was this a statement evoked by the 'older' population to make themselves feel better about getting older? Perhaps. But regardless of where it came from and what it's original reasoning was meant for, the truth is that is really is the truth.
I am thirty. God, thirty sounds old as hell to me. I know it's really not old at all but when you're in your teens, you can't imagine being in your twenties, and when you're in your twenties, you can't even fathom being in your thirties. Don't even ask me about my fourties because I am sticking to my thirties I think, for a long time. So turning thirty this past May was really difficult for me. I think it was mostly because there is the preconceived idea we have all created that once you turn thirty you are supposed to have everything. Somewhere along the lines we have created this thirty year old status - have all your shit together at this point AKA be married or engaged, have babies or be pregnant, a mortgage, a great career where you're making a substantial amount of money so that you can have a nice home of your own, nice furniture, a nice car, all the wonderful embellishments and indulgences of life, and all the while being able to talk about all the lovely traveling you get to do in between. Okay maybe not necessarily all of those things, but at least half, and the rest you should be well on your way to. Honestly, is anyone really ever there at that age these days? Not really. Well I'll tell you something, I'm not married, nor do I have a mortgage, kids, nor am I pregnant. I enjoy what I do for a living as a RMT and a Make-up Artist, and will most likely be a renter for years to come still, as buying a home independently in this city is very difficult when you're not racking in serious dough. Sure I could succumb to working in an industry that pays me a lot of money, even though I would absolutely hate the job, but what kind of lifestyle would that be for me? Being miserable for more money in return? Nah, I don't think so. That would only age me, and that is not okay with me at all. I think that keeping the youth alive inside all of us is just so important. It's our souls that truly keep us alive! Sure, over the years as we all age, our bodies are going to slow down and things aren't going to work the way they once did, but a youthful soul never ages and never dies, unless you let it, in which at that exact point is when you will start to really feel your age.
I won't lie, some days I really do feel thirty. Usually those tend to be days where I'm surrounded by really annoying young people who are just straight up acting stupid and so it reminds me of what it was like when I was younger and those type of people in my age group. On the flip side though, there are times when I am surrounded by younger people who bring out my youth just that much more and remind me of all the good things about being younger, and all the things I enjoyed at that age, but most of all, that it's important to still take it back in time, from time to time to keep yourself feeling young.
I'm actually finding thirty to be not so bad. I don't miss my twenties at all,. Okay, we'll maybe twenty-nine, but that's it. I've learned so much from that period in my life, and its shaped me into who I am today. I find that by thirty I've discovered a lot about who I really am, what I'm about, and what I want and don't want in my life. It's a good feeling, and I feel stronger and better as a person. So I guess you could say that most days I feel my age, and no not the preconceived status of my age, but truly my age. Then the comes the days when you catch me in my twenties, or maybe as a teenager again, or even a 5 year old..........and those times are simply the best! Nothing like some good ol' nostalgia to remind me of the old school! My nephew here keeps me very young when we're kickin' it together and I love it! Hide and go seek, building forts, trips to the candy store, coloring with sidewalk chalk, playing with cars, and going to the park. Also last summer my best friend Yolanda came to visit me from Portugal (she moved back there after high school). We crammed in as much fun stuff as we could during her time here. We did things like shopping, going for lunch and martinis on patios downtown, but we also did things like taking a trip down memory lane, back in our old 'hood, to see our elementary school, hang in our old playground, see our old houses, and get our usual slurpees and five cent candies that we used to get together routinely as kids. Made me feel like a kid again!
I would also like to use my Dad as an example. He's actually, probably the most perfect example for what I'm talking about. That man is sixty-three years old, and acts like he's still in his twenties...in a good way of course. When I say 'acts like', I really mean 'acts like'. He works out five days a week usually (and no, not grandpa-style arthritic exercise classes) doing full blown cardio and weights. He also eats healthier than most people I know, and has the most awesome personality, wit, and the silliest sense of humor out there! Seriously, our fam dinners are served with non-stop laughing at all these stupid little things, jokes, story-telling, and my Dad usually inconspicuously making a face or an object with his food on his plate (especially in mashed potatoes, ha ha ha), in hopes that we all notice and laugh......and of course we always do as he makes it so obvious...ha ha ha! In addition, when he's not working or working out, he's always doing something ; fixing something in the garage, constructing something, gardening...anything really to keep busy and active. Never a couch potato, never likes going to the doctor for anything (he's so healthy anyways), and never caught dead shopping for clothing in the 'old men' section - he likes to be stylish, and loves his Calvin Klein and Ralph Lauren. So how's that for a sixty-three year old? Nothing sixty-three about that at all! He doesn't feel his age and certainly isn't doing it to impress anyone either. I think the key is to never stop, never give in to your age because the moment you do?...that's when you will age! Look at cancer patients for example ; these are some of the strongest people in the world who have to battle this disease on the daily, and some of them give in to it, throw up their white flag and sadly succumb. Then there are others who fight it every step of the way, and make it through because they have the inner strength and soul to do it. Their bodies are going through hell, and women have to sacrifice some of their femininity by losing their hair through chemotherapy, but that doesn't stop them from living, and keeping that youthful spirit alive. 
I never want to lose my inner youth, and I honestly don't think I ever could. Sure, there are days when I feel like what I imagine it would be like to feel eighty, but those days don't happen too often and when they do I give myself a reality check by remembering that I'm only as old or as young as I want to be, and I refuse to let anything age this soul of mine (hmm, I feel like I should be playing Jay Z's 'Forever Young' right about now, ha ha ha!). We're only as old as we feel, right? So how old do I feel right now at this moment? Well, given the fact that I'm drinking chocolate milk out of the carton with a straw, I'm wearing sweat pants with my Lite-Brite t-shirt and am about to go watch some Fresh Prince of Bel-Air............I'm feeling about thirteen years old. Life is gooooood!

No comments:

Post a Comment