Monday, August 5, 2013

Daydreamers Anonymous

So with today being a long weekend here, this is my Sunday, as opposed to yesterday. Sorry to keep all you avid readers on the edge of your seats ;) I hope you like today's post as much as the rest of my previous posts because right now I have no idea in mind of what to write about, or how long or short it will be. Honestly. I am sitting outside on my deck with a cup of green tea, the sun is peeking down at me, and there is a bit of a refreshing morning breeze. We'll see where this goes. Man I love summer. I can't believe we are already in our last real summer month. Here in Calgary our summers are so short lived, and our winters are long and cold. So naturally when summer comes around, no one enjoys and relishes in it as much as we do. In the dead cold of winter, on those days where its -35 degrees, there's blowing snow, and people are outside scraping thick ice off of their windshields........those are the days where I tend to stop and daydream about hot summer days like today. I find it keeps me just that much more sane in midst of our freezing cold winters, to have the warm thoughts and memories of sweet summer time. That's not the only time I daydream. In fact, quite truthfully, I daydream all the time. Yes, I'm a daydreamer.
"Hello everyone, my name is Amanda, and I am a daydreamer".........................
......"Hi Amanda!".
What do I daydream about you ask? Well, just about everything. From the minor, miniscule things like what my day consisted of yesterday, what I'm going to do tomorrow, what outfit I'm going to wear to that event, a potential future conversation I'd have with someone, to things on a larger scale like reliving moments from the far past, daydreaming about my future life, travel, love, adventures, ripping an Aston Martin One-77 down the Autobahn, and what it would be like if I ever met Channing Tatum. Ha ha ha, come on ladies, we know we all day dream about that one.
Some people think that daydreaming is an unhealthy escape from reality. Well I think that they must live a very boring life. Get out of the vanilla already!
Daydreaming goes hand-in-hand with goals; setting goals, achieving goals. If we can't even do that, then what are we living for, right? I think it's important to be able to take a step back every now and then, imagine and place yourself  in different settings and moments in time, different elements, and doing things that make you happy. If you cant even dream it or see it yourself, then how do you ever expect to get it? Even if whatever it is you daydream about isn't exactly feasible or realistic ( example : swimming in an ocean made entirely of Oreos and milk...Mmmmmmmm Oreos! Or marrying Adam Levine and spending the rest of your days laying in luxury, poolside with him in his $3.5 million L.A resort-style villa pad. Nat, that example's for you girlfriend!). I personally think it's fun to have dreams! Not only do I daydream, but I'm a big time dreamer when I sleep. Unfortunately for me though, they're not always sweet little night time dreams.....oh yes, I have nightmares often enough too. Perhaps it's all the twisted horror movies I like to watch? Any of my close friends reading this right now are nodding their heads and smiling because they know that's likely the cause.
For Christmas one year, my good friend Natalie bought me this snow globe. It wasn't just a regular snow globe. This snow globe had a little insert in it from the bottom where you could slip a small photo inside the globe, so it would be  a sweet sentiment, a custom gift   - a snow globe with a photo of a friend or family member or whatever. So instead of putting a photo in, she drew on a little piece of paper. She drew with a black marker a picture of the Empire State Building, and then used red marker at the top for the red light on top of the building. Beside it she wrote "Dream Big". It was so funny when she gave it to me because she immediately was laughing and apologizing at the same time for her "crappy drawing". It looked cute like a little kid drew it, and I loved it! She drew the Empire State because I'm a huge New York fanatic, I'm in love with that city, and so she referenced in a big building to go with dreaming big! That's a perfect example of how something so simple meant something so big, and I keep it right on my dresser and see it every single day. Hands down my favorite gift from her! It's more of a reminder to me that even when times get tough, and my life gets busy, I still have the power of my mind, the will and creativity to dream, and the heart of a champion. 
So tell me, what do you dream about?
"“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.”  
~ Eleanor Roosevelt


No comments:

Post a Comment