Sunday, August 18, 2013

A Little Something I Love To Do

Yesterday I started my very first day as a part-time Stila Cosmetics Representative, and loved every minute of it! For those of you reading who aren't familiar with Stila (mostly referring to my male audience here) , they are a Los Angeles based cosmetics company, created by a top celebrity makeup artist, and are known for their modern, sophisticated, stylish, non-intimidating approach to beauty. Their makeup products are super fashion forward, and they even come in eco-friendly packaging! Can't help but love that part! Stila is also a very popular brand used on the pages of fashion magazines, and also frequents the runways during New York and London Fashion Week.
So needless to say, I'm pretty darn proud and happy to be representing such an amazing company, and in bigger dreams (here I go again with that dreaming of mine) I hope to one day get to meet the lovely CEO Lynn Tilton in New York on one my little NY trips! Seriously though, that woman is an incredible one and has done so much and won so many awards as founder and CEO of Patriarch (an investment firm and holdings company).
Anyhow, being a freelance makeup artist for years has really been amazing, and so much fun! I have absolutely loved all the experiences, and I continue to be offered and presented with more and more. The possibilities are endless, and I love that each experience and each face is unique! I love doing makeup for all events, the variety and endless amount of looks, and even the challenges that can come with it.  That's why when I was offered this role as a makeup artist/representative for Stila, I went right for it!
The thing about being a makeup artist is that you truly have to be an artist. You have to perform transformations, create certain looks, reshape facial features, and enhance the desirable ones.Hence why every makeup artist carries their own brush belt locked and loaded, right on their hip, ready to 'paint'  and perfect!
So I walk in to start my day, and meet all the girls working at that store (ill be repping Stila at different locations, not just one set beauty store) and was totally in my Mecca........well, one of my Meccas.  Bright, yet flattering soft light, beauty products everywhere, fashion icon images, pretty smelling perfumes, and a huge makeup station and every product possible, just for me! My own all white counter, white leather stool, modern square mirror and me dressed stylish in black, coral coloured stick, and my brush belt on. I felt like a kid playing in a sand box. Yep, this was definitely my all-grown-up sand box, and I was loving it! I had just had a really crappy week, specifically the last few days leading up to my first shift and I was desperately trying to get happy, and was hoping I could keep my mind off things. Once I got in there and started doing makeup for women just wanting to look and feel pretty, and being amongst all these other great girls who shared the same passion, my mind was exactly where it was supposed to be. I work as a RMT(Registered Massage Therapist) as my main job, and one of the things I really love about what I do is making other people feel better, making them smile, making a difference, and having that one on one human touch or connection. So naturally the same thing can be said for makeup artists - there is nothing more I love about doing makeup than that moment when my client takes the hand mirror, looks at herself, and is absolutely stunned at how beautiful she looks (some even will shed tears!) it makes me smile a mega watt smile, and I feel really good knowing that I just helped one extra woman in this world feel more beautiful and better about about them self.
So throughout the day, in between makeup appointments, I would approach the odd female customer who would appear confused and lost amongst a wall of selections and testers (even for myself, walking into places like Sephora can be a bit overwhelming with all the choices and colors) and just engage in conversation about different trends, products, being a female in general, relationships even......ya know, shop talk. We'd discuss their beauty concerns, try out different makeup on them, and them before I knew it, we'd be chatting about love, life, and all the greatness that is of being a woman. It was fun, refreshing, and didn't feel like a 'job' at all.
Also in between appointments, myself and the other two young ladies who who were employees of the store, would literally just play with makeup on ourselves and each other all afternoon. Additionally there were huge walls of luxurious smelling fragrances we would spritz and smell, and expensive nail polishes that were in every color you could imagine! (I'm currently wearing a fabulous pink by Estée Lauder that I tried on)
Basically I guess you could say that I had a pretty fantastic day and I cannot believe that I got paid all day to do something I love. Kind of sounds a bit crazy right? I mean, shouldn't we ALL we doing what we love for a living? Would that make us all just that much happier as people? And why does the idea of getting paid to do something you already love doing seem so far fetched? It's actually a very obvious and clear equation, yet so many of us don't solve it. But that's a topic for another day. In the meantime, get busy and tap into those passions you have because you're awesome at it! 
Do what you love and love what you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment