Sunday, June 16, 2013

Loss Of The Human Touch

Remember the good ol' days of communication before cell phones? Before email? Before Skype or Face Time? Well I do. I'm a 90s kid and proud of it! Obviously I realize that as time progresses, so will technology, but damn.....did it have to happen at warp speed? Can I just say how much I miss the 'phone call'? Can we bring it back? It hasn't gone out of style completely yet but I'm worried it might be well on it's way. People just don't call each other anymore, and we have cell phones to blame for it. I still remember when cell phones first came out actually. My Dad came home with this big ass car cell phone, and he was grinning ear to ear over it. The thing was huge and hideous. It came in this zip up, knapsack material, lunch bag-looking thing, and the buttons and screen display were horribly big and bright green. Oh, how we've advanced since then.
Growing up, I remember how I used to have phone conversations for hours with friends, and boys. I even remember when there was no call waiting, and if you called someone you would get the dreaded busy signal and have no choice but to hang up, wait, and try call again. Also, when you were going to meet up with a friend, you would have to previously arrange it with them over the phone or whenever you had seen them, and then show up at the destination and wait patiently for each other. Now? Well let's see.....first of all, you're lucky if the two of you even have an actual voice on voice conversation, then you have the oh-so beloved text messaging benefit where no matter what you're doing, no matter where you are, you can type up a quick text to convey your message without even having to talk to the person! Sure, some would argue that texting is convenient, and I'll admit it is for sure, but if we keep losing the human touch on eeeeeverything, then tell me, what will be left? 
Going back to the long phone conversations, can you honestly remember the last time you spoke on the phone to a friend or family member longer than the total time it takes to order takeout or the amount of time it takes to call and book in a car appointment? C'mon, be honest with yourself here. I miss the good ol' days when you would talk for hours on the phone with friends or family, or when you'd anticipate the first phone call from that guy/girl you met. It wasn't just because of the conversation itself, but it was also because you'd get to hear their voice, their emotions, their laughs. Not this 'lol' business! Who invented 'lol' anyways? While I'm on the subject of text, you know what else I really miss? Letters. Notes. Pen Pals. Yes maybe I'm getting a little too nostalgic here, and a bit unrealistic in a world where we are driven by electronic EVERYTHING, but I really do miss sweet sentiments like those. Back in Elementary and Junior High everyone (well, the girls) would write notes to each other in class, in between class, even at home in our spare time. We even had special ways of folding our notes too. I swear, passing notes got me through the toughest of days sometimes. I know that snail mail letters aren't going to be making a comeback, and probably by the time I'm finished with this blog post here, there will be some new technological discovery allowing for more efficiency, thus less time for one on one human contact, but I do think we all need to make just a little bit more of an effort to chill out on the texting, and instead pick up the phone and call. No miscommunication, no spelling errors, no emoticons. Just actual conversation, warm voices, real emotion, and good contagious laughs. Try it out sometime, good conversation never gets old, and never goes out of style ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment