Sunday, June 23, 2013

Baking Aficionado

   Ever since I was a little girl, I loved to bake. Honestly, I think it all started when my Mom bought me my very first Easy-Bake oven. For those who don't know what it is, take a second to 'Google' it. They are the coolest things ever, and I do believe they spawned a whole generation of avid little Betty Crockers in our world. I grew up in a house of boys - 3 brothers, no sisters, and my dear Mom and Dad. Being the only girl and being plunged into a world of Transformers, Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles, video games, and daily charlie horses, naturally I found ways to embrace my girl side - baking goodies being one of them. Funny enough, I actually do remember the day I got my Easy-Bake oven. It wasn't anything like the ones you see in stores now, oh no no no. This was one was smaller, plain old black and tan, and the inside was pretty basic as well. It came with all the little mini cake pans and muffin pans, and mixes. How a tiny light bulb could cook these cakes is still amazing to me, and if I tried to eat them now I'm sure they would taste something like an old sponge, but back in the day I rocked it!! My brothers were always hanging around me and my little oven asking me to bake and share with them. Hm, funny enough, that still hasn't changed one bit. To this day I have not only continued with my leisure baking of sweets and treats, but now it's become quite a passion of mine. I actually find it therapeutic sometimes. Seriously, I DO! No it does not have anything to do with the glass of wine I like to sip on while baking up a storm, I swear......or does it? Really though, I just love it! It's all sorts of fun for me, from making the tested and true traditional stand-by's, to experimenting with new flavors, creativity, and techniques. Most of all, it's almost nostalgic for me, and I have so many childhood memories of just baking for hours in the kitchen, at first with my Mom, then on my own - I started becoming a bit of a baking snob and didn't want anyone helping me because I wanted to do everything all on my own. Stubborn little miss independent I was. One thing has always remained the same though, once I had that apron on and that recipe out, I was in my own little world where everything felt warm, comforting, and happy....and I just loved creating delicious things for my friends and family and watching them enjoy it........and I still do. I love designing and decorating cakes, I love fusing decadent ingredients, and I love creating the ultimate in mouth-watering and visually appealing sweets............but I also love simplicity, and taking it back to the old and familiar comfort goodies. You know the kinda stuff I'm talking about - banana bread, rice krispies squares, apple pie, chocolate chip cookies. This weekend I made rice krispies squares, peanut butter cookies, and old fashioned rice pudding. How's that for nostalgia? Some of the easiest things to make, but yet so satisfying and reminiscent of being a kid. (Not gonna lie, I had both rice pudding and cookies for breakfast today) Isn't it funny how some things bring you right back to that time? I love it. I may not have whipped up anything  fancy or decadent this weekend, but I know I would have made Snap,Crackle, and Pop proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment