Sunday, October 13, 2013

I Am Thankful. Today. And Tomorrow

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Canadian peeps! Thanksgiving, although contrary to some people's beliefs, isn't only about stuffing your stretch-pants adorned belly with large amounts of turkey dinner and pumpkin pie. Although I'm sure we all do that, and slide into our turkey comas there after, we should never neglect to take a minutes out of our day to stop and think about all the things in life that we are thankful for. Whether big or small. Relevant or seemingly irrelevant. Take the time to chill the hell out for a minute today and hone in on all the good things in life. I don't care who you are or how much bad is going on in your life, there is always something good. It's just that sometimes in can be really hard to see the good when you're blinded by all the bad. Practice what we preach, right?
So today, for me, in no specific order, I'm going to just randomly list off all the things that I am thankful for.
I'm thankful for my family and my friends. For my wonderful cousins, aunties, and uncles across the way.For my Lemon who always uses his whole heart in everything he does. For my incredible circle of friendships and all the girl time we spend together. For the newfound closer relationships I've developed with some of my family members. For having a career in which I worked very hard to get and maintain. For having my own passions. For being as healthy and strong as I am. For having a mind of my own, and all the morals and value that embrace it. For being a Canadian, and living in such a safe and free country. For all the culture and diversity that surrounds us. For good books, museums, and unending knowledge and information at our fingertips. For music. For clean, drinkable running water. For star filled skies. For having talents I can share with the world. For my roots and where I came from. For beautiful autumn days. For cookies. For having a roof over my head. For mistakes I've made and learned from. For time. For Thanksgiving dinners. For love. For my  vision in that as time goes by, things become more clearer. For all the little things and moments in between, and for the joy and feeling of knowing that I made it through the day, no matter how amazing or how shitty it was. That in itself is an accomplishment.
When I really stop and think about all these things, it really puts into perspective just how much I think we as people get to be ungrateful. I find that it's always easier to hone in on the negative things that are occurring in our lives, rather than some of the positive things. Life gets busy. It gets hectic, and it gets superficial when we're only looking at it one-dimensionally. All the crappy things that go in my life always seem so prominent and so at times they can almost cast shadows on the good things. Why do we let that happen? It's just like the well known word of mouth fact where if a customer goes into a business and receives horrible service, they will tell everyone and their dogs. However if they receive good service, nine times out of ten they don't end up telling anyone about that experience.
Not every day can we all be these super happy super positive hippies who are all peace, love, and unity, and more times than not we'll probably be leaning more on the focus of the negative side, when things are going bad (I'm guilty of this one at times for sure. I'm human for gosh sakes), but once the storm cloud passes, I think if we could just be able to take a second and clue in to what is good, then that will make us just that much happier and hopefully bring us back to reality a little bit. And the reality is that everyone has certain things that they are thankful for. You just have to take the time to stop and actually think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment